30 December 2009

Engaged






It was hard to know when we should tell people about our plans. Since I wasn’t wearing a ring yet, it didn’t seem right to tell people that we were engaged. But, we did know that people needed to start making wedding and travel plans. So, pretty much everyone knew we were going to get married before I even had a ring. We bought the ring while Nick was in SC. We flew to Utah together to start our Senior years at BYU. Of course I knew the ring was coming and I couldn’t wait to have it!
We made simple wedding plans. Picked the date, the temple, and made the reservation with the temple. We didn’t have too much of a choice on the date since it was going to be over a Christmas break and we had a lot of things to fit in a small time frame. We chose the Portland temple simply because it was what ended up being most convenient. Plus, Nick was the youngest of six kids and all five of his siblings had been married in Portland. I couldn’t break such a tradition (even though Nick told me I could).
Sadly, I have no idea what the date was the day that Nick proposed. Sometime in mid-September and pretty close to the year anniversary of our first date. I do know that as soon as Nick called and asked if I wanted to go out to dinner I knew it was going to be the night. We ate at TGI Fridays and then Nick wanted to take me to get hot chocolate in Mapleton for some reason. I figured he was going to propose that night but I had no idea why he was going to do it at a hot chocolate place. Anyway, he was having a hard time finding the place and I was so confused why he was looking for it in the middle of a residential area. Suddenly we pulled up to a church building. I was still confused. Why would he propose at a church? As soon as we walked around to the back of the building, I recognized where we were. This was the picnic area where we had met at the ward luau. In the trunk he brought out hot chocolate (it was still hot…) and cookies and candles and placemats. After a few minutes he came around and knelt down in front of me and told me how much he loved me and how we wanted to take care of me and be with me forever. He pulled out the ring. We aren’t criers so we didn’t cry. But we were so happy! The engagement time went so fast. We had so much to do while we were in school. We had my roommate Debbie take our engagements pictures. I made the announcements by hand. I had to find the perfect dress (dress shopping was probably the most fun preparation). We had to find housing, and make a picture slideshow of our lives. We took temple prep and marriage prep classes. We had to meet almost weekly with the bishop to receive advice and counsel. Nick was so wonderful during this time. He pretty much just let me pick whatever I wanted and smiled the whole time.


No comments:

Post a Comment