30 December 2009

Events Leading to Our Meeting

Lindsey. I had completed my Sophomore year of College at BYU and was starting to think about where I wanted to live for my junior year and who I wanted to live with. Living with my sophomore year roommates had been so much fun but I had a little problem that I couldn’t get out of my mind: I had a hard time making friends on my own. I am a shy person and I don’t like to talk to people that I don’t know. Actually, I am a shy person and almost can’t talk to people I don’t know without wanting to run and hide and never show my face again. I went to BYU my freshman year rooming with someone that I knew. She made friends. I made friends with her friends. They made friends. I made friends with their friends etc. I knew that it was time I started over by myself and learned to make my own friends. Next year would be the perfect year to do it. I would be attending BYU in the fall and then attending a study abroad/internship in Romania for the winter. I would find a place that would let me sign a one semester contract (very hard to find such a place) and live with people I did not know. That is exactly what I did. I found a place, gave them a deposit, and then went home for the summer. Everything was arranged. I showed up a few days before school started ready to check in to my apartment and get to know new people. But there was a problem. When I showed up to check in to my apartment they claimed I never gave them a deposit and they gave away my apartment! I was enraged! I sure did give them a $500 deposit and I proved it. My dad was with me and called the bank and had them fax over a copy of the check that they cashed. “Opps, sorry” was all they could say. After telling me that it was too late, they were full , and they would mail me a refund , they left me on the street with my suitcase and nowhere to live. I will just skip on to say that I did find a nice landlord who owned a condo that had an open spot and he let me sign a one semester contract. So I found myself living in a very nice condo with roommates who had been roommates the previous year and did not like the fact that a new girl moved in at the last minute…but they were nice to me anyway.
I may as well make a note here about my previous dating experiences since going to BYU. I dated plenty of guys but none that had a chance of going anywhere. There were lots of great guys, but just because someone is great on paper does not mean they are the right one. I was wondering if I was even capable of completely falling for someone.

Nick. Nick had been home from his mission for over a year and was also going to be a junior at BYU. He was living in a condo with two friends from his freshman year. Nick is also a shy type person. His shyness wasn’t usually a problem with making friends, just asking girls out. Although he had been asked out by many girls, he had asked very few of out and had never kissed anyone before. Part of it was shyness but the other part was laziness…he did not feel like planning dates. He also would not ask a girl out unless he was one hundred percent sure that they would say yes. It kind of worked out that in past any girl he was getting close to dating had plans to leave the country so he never really had to worry about anything developing into a relationship. I guess he was kind of a heart breaker. Girls would like Nick and he would either not even know about it or not really care. Random Story: a few girls were over at Nick’s apartment watching a movie, including a girl who liked Nick. Sometime during the movie, Nick noticed that the girl was not watching the movie…she was just watching him. I guess it was things like this that made Nick uncomfortable in the dating scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment