30 December 2009

The Meeting

I guess officially we met at a Family Home Evening activity on my birthday. We were both there and everyone introduced themselves. Sadly, we have no recollection of even seeing each other that day. He remembered that it was someone’s birthday but I guess we did not particularly take note of each other. Our first real memory happened three days after that FHE activity. We had a ward Luau at a stake center in Mapleton. I was nervous about the Luau of course, because I was scared to go to an activity where I knew nobody. I rode to the activity with my new roommates. However, when we got there I noticed that one of my friends from a semester in Hawaii was in my ward. I was relieved to know somebody and happily joined her and roommates. I did start to panic an hour later when she announced that she needed to leave early. I couldn’t leave early because I had ridden with my roommates. So, as my friend left I quickly scanned the room looking for my roommates. I needed to sit with them because I at least knew them better than I knew anyone else. The only seat at their table was across from them next to a boy. I did not want to sit by that boy. I figured he would feel obligated to talk to me and we would be stuck in some awkward conversation that neither of us wanted to have. But, I had no choice, so I sat by him. Really it wasn’t so bad. I don’t remember too much of what we talked about. I remember that someone said he just got called as a Sunday school teacher and that I should go to his class on Sunday. I figure the rest of what we talked about was the usual conversation….I was from South Carolina, he was from Oregon. I was a Marriage Family Human Development major and he was majoring in electrical engineering. I was the oldest of six kids, he was the youngest of six kids. We ended up with a picture of our first conversation. It is blurry because someone took it on a cell phone camera and we are just in the background. But, when I look at that picture it is funny to think that we had no idea what that conversation was going to lead to.

No comments:

Post a Comment