30 December 2009

Get to Know Another

I guess the only way Nick was ever going to actually start dating someone was by being in the same ward. It gives so much opportunity to get to know someone without putting any effort into it. You don’t have to ask out on dates, call, or visit. Basically, you just need to show up at church activities.
The Sunday after the ward activity, Nick and his roommates ended up sitting by us at church. Here was the line up: my roommates, me, empty seat, Nick, Nick’s roommates. I don’t know what was up with the empty seat but it didn’t stop Nick from saying a few things to me. Nick was reviewing his lesson during Sacrament meeting and asked if I would participate in his lesson by reading something. I agreed. In the last hour of church I remember we both got called out of our classes at the same time to have our pictures taken for the ward directory. I ended up behind him in the line and we talked some. This was when I started to realize that I might have a little crush on him. Mostly, I just remember when I was finished and started to walk out that I turned around to wave and smile at him and he seemed shocked. I remember him seeing me wave and his eyes just got huge and he had a look of shock on his face and he didn’t wave back. It mostly seemed like he was thinking “wow, is she waving at me?” but I was still embarrassed. Nick remembers this a little differently. He remembers smiling back at me. He also remembers that it was the first time he noticed my smile…and he liked it. I I do remember going home from church that day and telling my roommate Debbie that I had a crush on him.
The rest of “getting to know each other” happened at church activities. I remember I missed an FHE activity and he noticed that I was not there. However, we also found out that we both had our last class of the day in the same building so we would sometimes walk home together. Mostly, I remember getting impatient. I thought that he had had plenty of time to ask me out. In past experience a guy would get my number or ask me out on a first meeting. However, we had been bumping into each other for a few weeks and he didn’t even care to ask me out. You have to realize that I did not know anything about his past dating experience. I didn’t know that it was uncommon for him to ask anyone out. So in my mind it was hopeless and in his mind he thought he was doing pretty good. I began to give up hope on the idea that he would ever ask me out. He got close once though. At ward prayer, he asked if I wanted to watch “Emperors New Groove” with some people at his house that night and he got my phone number to call me when it was ready. I guess he desperately searched for the movie and a group of people to watch it with us because he really did not want us to watch it alone. I remember I was very uncomfortable the whole time because two of the girls in the room were texting each other back and forth and laughing the whole time. It definitely was not a date though. He did not walk me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment