30 December 2009

First Date

The next day I received a phone call. I was surprised to see that Nick was actually calling me. He said “a few of us are going to a concert. I know Brandon and Brian (his roommates) are going. Would you like to come.” He said he would call later in the week to let me know the time and everything. I was so confused. Was it a date? He definitely did not make it sound like a date. I relayed the conversation to my roommate Amy and we probably spent days hashing over the conversation trying to figure out if it was a date or not. Luckily Brian came to the rescue. Brian had something he called “the rounds.” Pretty much every night he would hop from apartment to apartment (of girls of course) to hang out. He had recently added my apartment to his rounds and was able to answer the question for me. Yes. It was a date. I remembered he laughed when I told him how unclear it was to me and he said “yeah, that’s Nick.”
Nick called me the night before the “date” to arrange a time to pick me up. The problem was, I didn’t get out of class until six and the concert started at seven and was a half an hour away and he wanted to take me to dinner. Nick’s solution: I will pick you up at 6:15, we will go to Costa Vida, and you can eat in the car and I will just eat later. So that is what we did. I remember how funny I thought it was that I had to eat in the car…and it made me uncomfortable that he wasn’t eating and did not eat at all that night. His food just sat in the car. He was very gentlemanly on that date. He opened the doors for me, was polite, etc. However, there was no hand holding or touching in any way. Still not knowing Nick’s dating history, I assumed that his meant that this was a “friends” thing.
During the date he did asked me if I would be attending the BYU football game the next day. I let him know that I had not bought an all sports pass that year because I would be leaving for Romania. He told me to call him the next day if I wanted to go to the game because he would probably be able to get a ticket for me.
The doorstep scene was probably as awkward as any door step scene after the first date. I thanked him and hugged him although if I had known that he was not used to door step scenes, I probably would have been too scared to hug him. But, not knowing I just hugged him and said goodnight.


The next day I debated a long time whether or not to call him to go to the game. I didn’t want to be too forward but I did like him and it would be an opportunity to get to know him better. Finally, without realizing what I was doing I called him. Brian answered Nick’s cell phone and let me know that Nick was in the shower. I was kind of irritated that Brian answered because now I would not be able to leave a message and I figured Brian would forget to tell him. I did not realize at the time that it was a big deal that I called Nick and that is why Brian answered. For all I know Brian probably jumped in the shower with Nick to relay the message. Nick did call back…he got me a ticket and he and his roommates gave me a ride. Still though throughout the game, there were no signs that Nick liked me more than a friend.
Note: Nick says when he called to ask me out for the first time, he purposely made it not sound like a date. He said that it wouldn’t make me obligated to say yes and he didn’t have to feel as embarrassed for asking me on a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment