30 December 2009

Our First Kiss


I guess that’s when things really started going. I knew now that we were more than great buddies. I was scared that Nick would be too scared to ever hold my hand again, but he wasn’t. It became natural for him. I guess after about a week of holding it became time to start thinking about the next step…our first kiss.
In my mind, this is something you don’t think about or plan. It just happens. I guess I better just admit the fact that I had kissed a lot of guys and I had even kissed on a first date. It wasn’t a big deal to me. I never thought about it, I just let it happen. But the truth about Nick was made known to me by Brian. Brian was doing the rounds and was at our house….he let it all be known. Nick had never had a girlfriend, he had never kissed anyone, he was scared to death to kiss me, etc. I guess that after the whole hand holding incident I shouldn’t have been surprised by this news, but I was. I didn’t realize people could go 22 years without kissing anyone. So, suddenly I began to feel pressure. There was pressure everywhere. Everyone kept saying everyday “this has to happen tonight.”The fact that he was freaking out was making me freak out. The more time that went by, the more freaked out I got. It was like the more time that went by, the more scared he must be. So I think I started freaking out at the doorstep every night and just hug him and walk in my apartment without really giving him a chance.
Nick is seven inches taller than me. Kissing takes a little effort….he has to bend down and I have to be looking up. So, it is not just a matter of leaning a few inches forward after a hug…it is a seven inch plummet. Anyway, one night I realized that I haven’t been giving him a good chance. I decided that I needed to look up at him so that he didn’t have to like grab my face or anything to kiss me. So, after we hugged, I looked up at him. He completely freaked out. His eyes got all big and wide and he had completely frozen and saying he looked terrified would be an understatement. So then I freaked out, I turned around and tried to jam my key into the door but I was freaking out too much to get the key in the door. I looked over just in time to see him running full speed around a corner.
Of course I decided that I was never going to look at him again. Especially on the doorstep. It was all just too much. I decided that I needed to give him a deadline (not tell him the deadline, just have a deadline in my head). I decided that if he did not kiss me by his birthday I was just going to give up and forget the whole thing and just go back to being great buddies because I couldn’t stand the pressure. What I didn’t know at the time was that Nick had also set a deadline for himself...he knew he had to kiss me by his birthday as well. Somehow it all came together. After his birthday party given by his friends, we watched a movie, he walked me home, and on the doorstep I looked up and he gave me the quickest littlest peck in the world and then took off running. But I was ecstatic. I ran straight into Amy’s room where we jumped up and down and screamed until we woke up Debbie and then she came and jumped and screamed with us. I guess that’s just what girls do. Meanwhile, Nick casually walks into his apartment and doesn’t say anything about it to his roommates for hours. I guess that is the difference between boys and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment